Skip Navigation

The Ontario Works program provides temporary financial assistance to people who are returning to the workforce.

What is Ontario Works?

The Ontario Works (external link) (OW) program provides temporary financial assistance to people who are in need. The program also provides employment supports to help individuals find employment.

You may be eligible for Ontario Works if you:

  • live in Ontario
  • are in financial need (your household income does not cover basic living requirements)
  • are committed to finding and keeping a job (unless you have a specific circumstance that prevents you from doing so)

Your income, assets, living arrangements, family size and circumstances are also used to determine your eligibility.

How do I apply?

To apply for Ontario Works:

Halton Region

You will be contacted to schedule an in-person meeting. This meeting will be used to help determine your eligibility for the program.

Important: Changes for Ontario Works recipients effective May and August 2018.

Change for Ontario Works recipients effective May 2018

Starting in May 2018, income reporting is getting easier. You will need to fill out only 3 things in your Statement of Income form:

  • gross pay (before deductions)
  • net pay (after deductions)
  • any garnishments (such as child support payments)

Changes for Ontario Works recipients effective August 2018

Starting in August 2018:

  • eligible family members will be added to your monthly Statement of Assistance. This may be used to help determine your family’s eligibility for additional supports, such as housing subsidies.
  • you will no longer receive a paper drug card with your statement. Instead, you can use your Ontario health card or another form of government identification to access Ontario Works health benefits, such as prescription drugs and eye exams.

Learn more about these changes at (external link).


MyBenefits is a service that allows Ontario Works clients to get information about their case and report income or address changes online.

What benefits can I receive?

In addition to your monthly cheque and your drug card, you may also be eligible to receive other benefits (e.g. dental, vision, medical treatments, supplies, equipment and related costs, etc.). Visit the Ontario Ministry of Community and Social Services site for a summary of benefits (external link).

You may also qualify for the following benefits. Use the links below for more information and talk to your case manager to find out if you qualify.

If you are in receipt of Ontario Works assistance, Halton Region may be able to help you with the cost of food.

  • Child care:
  • Activities for children:
    • If you are in receipt of Ontario Works assistance, your children may be eligible for subsidies for recreational activities such as sports, art and music.
  • Eyeglasses/eye appointments:
    • All children in receipt of Ontario Works assistance are eligible for basic vision care coverage.
  • Dental care:

Halton Region Housing Services supports low and moderate income households with housing and/or financial assistance. See what supports might be available to you.

Employment Halton may be able to support you with access and funds to navigate your job search. Supports could include:

  • Start up expenses for a new job or training
  • Participation expenses (to take part in job search activities)
  • Tuition fees
  • Resume writing
  • Interview preparation
  • Job placement

Check out current jobs at Employment workshops and events are listed on our monthly calendar.

  A number of community resources are also available in Halton to support you and your family.