Try the new

Need Help with the Cost of Housing?

Looking for information on subsidized housing?

Please dial 311. We are pleased to help you.

Subsidized Housing - Halton Access to Community Housing (HATCH)

Halton Region’s Subsidized Housing program, also known as rent-geared-to-income (RGI), provides safe, well-maintained rental housing for individuals and families with low and moderate incomes. You may want to view the searchable RGI housing database to assist you with your HATCH application.

Halton Community Housing Corporation (HCHC) owns and operates 27 communities within Halton Region, providing housing to families and seniors. Our communities include townhouses, apartments as well as single and semi-detached dwellings.

Need an application?

You can find the HATCH application online or dial 311 to request that an application be mailed to you.

  • Pick up an application at any of the following locations across Halton Region. Completed applications can also be dropped off at these same offices.
  • Completed HATCH applications can also be mailed to:
    • Halton Access to Community Housing (HATCH)
      Housing Services Division
      Regional Municipality of Halton
      690 Dorval Drive, 7th Floor
      Oakville, ON
      L6K 3X9

If you have any questions about the HATCH application or any other housing program or service, please dial 311 for assistance 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.

Rent Supplement Program

Rent supplements reduce the cost of housing for qualified individuals and families in housing operated by the private sector. Landlords sign an agreement with Halton Region to provide housing units to the Rent Supplement program and Halton Region places eligible applicants from the Halton Access to Community Housing (HATCH) wait list in the rent supplement units. The housing subsidy provided through this program is paid directly to the landlord.

Are You at Risk of Losing Your Housing?

If you are struggling to pay housing costs and are at risk of being evicted, Halton Region’s Housing Stability Team can help you with basic expenses that may impact your ability to pay your rent. If you are eligible, you could receive one-time assistance with items such as:

  • Rental arrears (rent payments that are overdue)
  • Last month’s rent
  • Utility arrears (payments that are overdue)
  • Moving/storage

The purpose of this program is to help people maintain their housing. To apply, dial 311 for more information about eligibility and access to this program.

Halton Accessibility Repair Program (HARP)

IMPORTANT: Due to high demand, Halton homeowners expressing interest in the Halton Accessibility Repair Program (HARP) will have their names added to the Expression of Interest Wait List. Homeowners on the wait list will be notified when more information regarding program funding is available. Thank you.

HARP provides limited funding to eligible homeowners for home modifications that are needed to improve accessibility and independent living. For example, a homeowner (or other member(s) of the household) may need:

  • safety handrails to assist with walking up and down the stairs; or
  • a walk-in shower to use the bathroom more independently

The current HARP program ends on December 31, 2019.

Who qualifies for HARP?

You may be eligible for HARP funding if:

  • you are the sole owner(s) of the home, which is your sole and principal residence;
  • you have not started home modifications;
  • all members of your household have legal status in Canada;
  • your total household income is $88,900;
  • the value of your property is $671,432 or less (as per MPAC (external) or certified appraisal); and
  • your property tax, mortgage payments and home insurance (for the full value of the property) are all paid and up to date.

How is the assistance provided?

  • Limited funding is available on a first come, first served basis through a dedicated application process.
  • A grant of up to $5,000 can be awarded for eligible home modifications.
  • If more money is needed, it can be provided in the form of a forgivable loan of up to $10,000 (in addition to the $5,000 grant). The forgivable loan is interest-free and does not require monthly payments. It is forgiven after ten years (10% each year).
  • If the house is sold, rented, transferred or if the applicant ceases to occupy the property as the principal residence during the loan forgiveness period, the then outstanding loan amount will have to be paid back.

How to apply?

  • If you think you qualify and are interested in the program, please call 311 to have your name added to the Expression of Interest List. You can also call 311 for more information.
  • Funding is usually not immediately available for new expressions of interest. HARP will connect with prospective applicants at the top of the list when new funding becomes available.
  • You will then receive an application form. Once the form is completed, HARP will follow-up immediately and will ensure that eligible home modification projects can begin as soon as possible.

Halton Home Ownership Program

Halton Region has partnered with Habitat for Humanity Halton (external link) to help people who rent their housing move to homeownership. Assistance is provided through a forgivable loan for a down payment on an affordable housing unit offered through Habitat for Humanity.

Other Financial Assistance (social assistance, employment programs etc.)

Still have questions about our housing services and programs?