Try the new

Information for Landlords Currently in Rent Supplement Program

This page contains information, forms and resources that benefit landlords who currently have a Rent Supplement Agreement with Halton Region.

Landlords’ Role
Tenants’ Role
Supportive Agencies

Landlords’ Role

You are responsible for adhering to the provisions of the Rent Supplement agreement you have signed with Halton Region.

You are responsible for the normal landlord/tenant relationship, such as rent collection, maintenance, formal notices, and repairs and services as per the Residential Tenancies Act, 2006 (RTA) Link to external site and all applicable legislation.

The Rent Supplement Agreement requires you to send a copy of any formal notices to Rent Supplement staff. This includes any notice to vacant and yearly N1-Notice of Rent Increase Link to external site to ensure subsidy payments are applied and paid correctly and on time.

Tenants’ Role

Tenants sign a lease agreement with you. They are responsible for following rules established by you under the lease and in accordance with the RTA and all applicable legislation.

Any questions tenants have about rent payments, upkeep of the residential premises, emergencies after hours, problems with neighbours, moving out, etc., should be directed to you and not to Halton Region.

Tenants must make their rent payments directly to you (the landlord) for the portion of their rent that is not covered by the subsidy provided by the Halton Region

Supportive Agencies

Schedule “A” to the Rent Supplement Agreement identifies the units under the agreement and whether you have agreed to provide a unit to a supportive agency client. The tenants residing in these units have a support worker who assists them according to their individual needs.

You may refer to your agreement or contact Halton Region to clarify which units are agency allocations. You can contact the support agency directly if you have questions about their programs and how they can assist a tenant in the allocated unit.


Rent Supplement tenancies are governed by The Residential Tenancies Act (RTA), 2006 Link to external site. Information about the RTA can be found at Link to external site or by calling toll free 1-866-342-6153.

The Landlord and Tenant Board website provides a number of forms Link to external site for landlords to use for various purposes under the RTA.

Eligibility for a Rent-Geared-To-Income subsidy is governed by the Housing Services Act (HSA), 2011. Link to external site

All information relating to rent supplement tenants that is provided to, collected or maintained by Halton Region’s Rent Supplement Program is subject to the provisions of the Municipal Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (MFIPPA). Link to external site

Landlords must respect the privacy of the rent supplement tenants and their rights regarding their subsidy.

Additional Resources

Landlord and Tenant Board: Link to external site
Ontario Non-Profit Housing Corporation (ONPHA) Link to external site
Vendor Direct Deposit form Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF) 34.9KB
Rent Supplement Process for Filling a Vacancy Adobe Portable Document Format (PDF)107KB