Try the new

Immunization - Children/Tweens

Don't forget the yellow card

Get this Immunization Record from your doctor

The yellow immunization record you get from your doctor will help you keep track of you child's immunizations.

Immunization - ages & stages

Children attending school in Halton must have an up-to-date immunization record or a valid exemption form on file with Halton Public Health.

Required vs. recommended immunizations for preteens

Required immunizations

Recommended immunizations:



When my child is:  Meningitis Menactra®    Quadracel  MMRV  Hepatitis B  HPV  Tdap Flu
4 - 6 years    X X*        
Grade 7 students  X  


Grade 8 females       


14 - 16 years        


Every autumn              X

*  1 dose for children 4 years of age who have not received a second dose of varicella or MMR vaccines.
  + Due 10 years after the 4-6 year booster.

Close this section

vaccines for pre-teens logo

Hepatitis B immunization for grade 7 students (born: 2000)

Vaccines (or needles) are the best way to protect against some very serious infections. The National Advisory Committee on Immunization (NACI) and the Canadian Pediatric Society recommend routine immunization against hepatitis B. In Ontario, the Ministry of Health and Long-Term Care provides free vaccine to immunize grade 7 students before most chances of getting hepatitis B occur. This immunization program is voluntary. More information about hepatitis B infections and vaccine.

Meningococcal immunization for grade 7 students

Menactra® - (meningococcal conjugate groups A,C,Y and W-135) vaccine replaced Men-C in the routine immunization schedule for grade 7 students. Menactra® protects against infections caused by 4 strains of meningococcal bacteria. (Men-C vaccine only gave protection against the "C" strain of meningococcal bacteria.) This vaccine will be offered to grade 7 students in school-based clinics again this year.  Students who are in grade 7 for 2012-2013 school year and who have previously received Men-C (Menjugate or Neis-VacC) vaccine can also receive the Menactra® vaccine.

  • Consent packages will be mailed home in August to students entering grade 7 in Fall 2012.
    If you did not receive a consent package, please call the health department.
  • Students who miss the vaccines at school will be offered the vaccines when the nurses come back to the school again. The schedule of dates for all school clinics is above.
  • Students can also receive the vaccines at the monthly community clinic. Please call 311 to book an appointment.
  • Students who are currently in grade 11 and up are not eligible to receive Menactra®. These students are still eligible to receive Men-C vaccine from their family physician. Family physicians may also prescribe Menactra® for these students.
Close this section

The internet has a lot of information about vaccines and vaccine-preventable diseases—but there is also misinformation, and some of it can be harmful if used to make health decisions.

Close this section

FAQsHealth Department Letter

I'm new to Canada, what vaccines do I need?
Children ages 4-17 who are not properly vaccinated may be suspended from school. Contact your child's school settlement worker or contact Halton by dialing 311 for more information on:

  • School age children new to Canada
  • Vaccines required for school
  • How to update your child's record and avoid suspension
  • Free translation of your child's immunization record
  • What to do if you do not have your child's immunization record
  • Free immunization clinics

How does it work?
Vaccines trigger your child's immune system to produce antibodies to fight diseases. For immunization to work best, children should have all their vaccinations on schedule.

Is it safe?
Immunization is very safe. A very thorough health protection process is in place to ensure the safety of all vaccines. Once a vaccine is in use, its safety is continually monitored.

Are there any side effects?
For most people, there are no side effects from immunization. However, some people may experience mild pain, swelling and/or redness where the shot was given. Talk to your doctor about how reactions can be prevented or minimized. Serious side effects are rare. For more information ask your doctor, or dial 311.

Why are my child’s immunization records considered to be incomplete?
If you’re not sure which immunization(s) are missing, refer to the Common Reasons for an Incomplete Record below and answer the questions to assist you.

What is immunization?
Immunization means vaccination or "needle shots". When children are immunized, they receive an injection that will protect them from serious childhood diseases.

Why did I get a letter from the Health Department?
Halton Public Health does not have a record of all or some of the immunizations that are required for your child to attend school. Parents are responsible for updating their child’s immunization record with the health department. The school provides immunization records to us only at the time of registration. Your doctor does not provide the information to Halton Public Health.

Where can I get exemption forms?
Information on medical or conscientious exemption forms can be found here.

  1. Your child’s complete immunization records were not forwarded to Halton Public Health.
    Your child may have received all the required immunizations, but Halton Public Health may not have all the updated immunization information for your child.
    For example:
    • Your child’s school only collects and forwards immunization records to Halton Public Health at the time of initial registration to school. After registration, you are required to update your child’s immunization record with Halton Public Health each time your child is vaccinated.
    • Doctors do not report immunizations to local health departments.
    • Other health units do not automatically send immunization information to Halton Public Health so you must contact the other health unit to obtain your child’s immunization record and send it to Halton Public Health.
    It is important that you notify Halton Public Health every time your child is immunized.
  2. Your child’s immunization record is missing infant immunizations and/or booster doses.
    Your child’s record with Halton Public Health may not include some infant immunizations and/or booster doses. As your child gets older, there are additional doses of vaccine required for your child to be completely immunized for his/her age. To meet the requirements, the record must show your child has had all the doses. Please send us all dates of all infant and booster vaccinations your child had received.
  3. The Ontario immunization schedule requirements are not met.
    Your child’s immunization record does not meet the Ontario immunization schedule requirements. For example, your child may have received immunizations too early. Vaccinations must be given at the right time for your child to develop proper immunity. If they are not given according to the Ontario immunization schedule they may not be valid.
    Some examples include:
    • The first dose of MMR (measles, mumps and rubella) must be given on or after a child’s first birthday and the second dose at least 28 days after the first dose.
    • Diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, and polio vaccine requirements include 5 doses by age 6. The booster dose or the 5th dose is given between 4-6 years of age.
    • The child received less than the required doses of polio vaccine or the last dose was given before the child was 4 years of age.
    • Booster doses for diphtheria and tetanus are required if it has been more than 10 years since the last dose of diphtheria and tetanus was received. It is usually required between 14 -16 years of age.
  4. The exemption process has not been completed.
    You have requested an exemption, but have not yet completed the forms according to the process. The forms must be notarized in order for the exemption to be valid. Please contact Halton Region Health Department for more information. Dial 311.
  5. Your child was immunized outside of Ontario or Canada, or their record is unavailable.
    Your child was immunized outside Ontario or Canada, or your child’s immunization record is unavailable. In this situation, your child may require immunizations in accordance with the Ontario catch-up schedule. Please follow up with your doctor and notify us when your child has begun receiving the required immunizations.
Close this section


Close this section

Vaccines and the law

Get vaccinated! It's the law!

How and where to get immunized in Halton

Where to get immunized:

  • Call your doctor to make an appointment.
  • If you or your child don't have a health card call Halton Region, dial 311.
  • If you do not have a family doctor, here are some new family doctor’s accepting patients.
  • Visit one of Halton’s immunization clinics if you do not have a family doctor or can’t get to your doctor when you need a vaccine. You must make an appointment before going to one of these clinics.

When to get immunized:

The Immunization Schedule chart shows when children can get vaccines that are paid for by the government. If your child was not immunized in infancy, talk to your doctor about a recommended catch-up schedule.

Show/hide recommended routine immunizations for teens in Ontario

Keep an immunization record. It's important!

Get a yellow Immunization Record from your doctor to keep track of your immunizations. This will prevent receiving unnecessary vaccines. It is the responsibility of the parent/guardian to give this immunization information about their school-aged children to Halton Public Health. Your doctor's office does not update Halton Public Health about your child's immunizations.

Immunization records are needed when:Get this Immunization Record from your doctor

  • Starting day nursery or kindergarten
  • Transferring to a school in another area
  • Going to camp
  • Enrolling in certain health-related college/university programs or working in a health-related field
  • Going for emergency health care
  • Travelling to other countries


Many areas of the world create significant health risks. If you are travelling to destinations outside of Canada and the United States you may be at increased risk of illness or disease. Visit a travel clinic for a personal health risk assessment when you are planning a trip.

Close this section