Try the new

Immunization Information for Families

Infectious diseases are commonly spread among children who are not immunized. By immunizing your child, you are protecting them, and our community, from infectious disease. Report all immunizations your child has received to the Health Department. Your doctor does not report these for you.

Where can I get immunized?

How can I get my immunization records?

  • If you have updated the Health Department with your child’s immunization records or are wondering if your school submitted them on your behalf, we can let you know what records we have on file. You can access your child’s immunization records:

Immunizations for Infants, Toddlers & Preschoolers

The following immunizations are recommended and available free of charge.

2 months
4 months
6 months
12 months
15 months
18 months
  • Diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, polio & Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib)
  • Pneumococcal
  • Rotavirus
  • Diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, polio & Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib)
  • Pneumococcal
  • Rotavirus
  • Diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, polio & Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib)
  • Pneumococcal
  • Meningococcal
  • Measles, mumps & rubella
  • Varicella
  • Diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, polio & Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib)
  • 6 months and older - Influenza (flu shot) every fall

Get more information about Ontario’s Publicly Funded Immunization Schedules (external link).

Immunizations for Children in Child Care

Ontario’s Child Care and Early Years Act (2014) (external link) says that students who attend licensed child care centres must be immunized against certain diseases, unless they have an exemption. Your child care centre requires proof of immunization or exemption before your child can attend the centre. It’s the law and helps keep our children safe and healthy!

The Halton Region Health Department collects, assesses and maintains immunization records for all children in licensed child care centres. This allows us to identify students who are at risk of certain diseases.

Your child’s family doctor does not report their immunizations. Parents must submit these records to the Health Department AND to their child care centre.

Instructions for parents:

  1. Report your child’s immunization record in one of the following ways:
  2. Request a copy of the updated record.
  3. Submit the record received from the Health Department to the child care centre.

Get information about vaccine exemptions or call 311.

Children attending child care must be immunized against:

  • Diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis (whooping cough), polio and haemophilus influenza type b (Hib)
  • Pneumococcal disease
  • Rotavirus
  • Measles, mumps and rubella (German measles)
  • Varicella (chickenpox)
  • Meningococcal disease

Note: Vaccines that protect against rotavirus and pneumococcal may be required depending on the child’s age.

Immunizations for School Aged Children

The following immunizations are recommended and available free of charge.

4 - 6 years
Grade 7
Age 14 - 16
  • Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis & polio
  • Measles, mumps, rubella & varicella
  • Hepatitis B
  • Meningococcal
  • Human Papillomavirus (HPV)
  • Tetanus, diphtheria & pertussis
  • Influenza (flu shot) every fall

Immunization of Pre-teens & Teens

These are provided by Halton Region Health Department for students in grade 7 and 8 for certain vaccines.

Missed your in-school immunization clinic? Book an appointment online for HPV, Hep B & Meningococcal ACYW-135 Immunization.

Immunizations required for attendance at School

Although all immunizations listed in the Publicly Funded Immunization Schedule are recommended, specific immunizations are legally required for all students attending school in Halton Region as per the Immunization of School Pupil’s Act (ISPA) (external link). Halton Region Health Department enforces ISPA on behalf of the province.

As of July 1, 2014, the meningococcal vaccine (Meningococcal ACYW-135) has been required for school attendance. Meningococcal ACYW-135 is mandatory like diphtheria, tetanus and polio vaccines.

Parents must provide proof that their children have the following immunizations to legally attend schools.

For more information, download this Parent Handout (external PDF) developed by the Province of Ontario, or call the Health Department by dialing 311.

Immunization Exemption

A parent/guardian has the option to temporarily or permanently exempt a child from receiving immunizations based on the following:

  • Medical reasons
  • Conscience or religious belief

An exemption allows an unimmunized or under-immunized child to attend school. However, in the event of an infectious disease outbreak, the Medical Officer of Health has a responsibility to ensure the child does not attend school until the outbreak is over.

What do I need to do?

See more information on the vaccine exemption process.