Try the new

Child Care Subsidy - Frequently Asked Questions

What is Child care subsidy?

Child care subsidy helps with the cost of licensed child care. It is available to families of children from birth to 12 years of age in licensed child care programs.

Call the Child Care Directory and Information Line at 905-875-0235 or visit them on the web at (external link) for child care options close to your home or preferred location.

top of page

Who can get child care subsidy?

You can get child care subsidy if you are:
  • Living in Halton; and
  • Working, attending school or a training program; and
  • Eligible financially ($) for child care subsidy.
    This means we need to check your income. You must complete an Income Test to find out if you qualify. You will be asked to bring copies of your most recent:

NOTE: You must file your taxes on time

top of page

How do I apply?

  1. Fill out the online form or dial 311.
  2. Speak with Children's Services Intake Worker when they call you.
  3. Receive a letter outlining all the documents you will need to continue with your application.
  4. Send all required documents including Notice of Assessment or Canada Child Benefit.
  5. Meet with a Child Care Representative who will review your documents and confirm that you are eligible.

top of page

Am I eligible? Do I qualify?

  • We will use Line 236 of your most recent Notice of Assessment to determine if you qualify for child care subsidy.
  • This means that you must file an income tax return to apply for child care subsidy. 
  • Child care subsidy calculator

top of page

What if my child has a disability or special need?

Parents of children with special needs may be eligible for child care subsidy for children under 13 years of age.

Call Halton Region by dialing 311 or 905-825-6000, and ask for services for children with special needs.

top of page

What If I don’t speak or read English? Are interpreters available?

  • When you call, let the Intake staff on the phone know that you need an interpreter.
  • We will get and pay for an interpreter for you.
  • It is important that you understand all the information at your appointment.
top of page

Is the office accessible?

  • All Regional offices are wheelchair accessible.
  • You can use the Region’s TTY line (905-827-9833) to contact us if you have a hearing impairment.
  • At Halton Region, we strive to make our customer service more accessible. Please let us know if you need any other assistance.

top of page