What is the Difference Between 911 and 311?

911 and 311 are both available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Call 911 when:

  • You require the immediate response of police, fire and/or an ambulance.
  • You have a life threatening situation.
  • You need to report a fire or other dangerous situation.
  • A crime is in progress.

Call 311 when:

  • You need to obtain information about an emergency
  • You want to ask about the availability of local services
  • You need to find the location or availability of shelters or other services
  • You need the non-emergency phone numbers for fire, police or ambulance
  • You need to reach:
    • Halton Region
    • City of Burlington 
    • Town of Halton Hills
    • Town of Milton
    • Town of Oakville
    • Halton Regional Police Service (non-emergency)
    • Halton District School Board
    • Halton Catholic District School Board

  • You can only reach Halton 311 when you dial 311 within Halton Region. If outside Halton Region, you can reach Halton 311 by dialling 905-825-6000 or 1-866-442-5866.
  • Multi-language service is available on both 911 and 311.