Try the new

Thunderstorms - Emergency Preparedness

A thunderstorm.

Summer thunderstorms are a fairly common occurrence in most of Canada, providing much-needed precipitation for gardens, crops and other purposes. Unfortunately, a small percentage of summer thunderstorms intensify to the extent that they become “severe,” causing damage to property and threatening lives.

Environment Canada will issue a severe thunderstorm or tornado warning if heavy rain, high winds, tornadoes, hail or intense lightning are present or expected. The storm’s expected motion and developments are also provided in the weather warning. If you hear a weather warning and are in the area specified, take appropriate precautions.

  • In heavy rain, be on the lookout for flash floods.
  • When swimming or boating, always head to shore at the first sight of a storm.
  • Remember that damaged and weakened structures, fallen debris, downed electrical wires, and gas leaks are potential dangers after a storm has passed.

When disaster strikes

  • Remain calm. Co-ordinated emergency services are responding.
  • Check for updates.
    • Halton Region’s Enhanced Community Emergency Notification Service (eCNS) is an emergency telephone notification service. It will be used in the event of a major disaster or catastrophe to communicate updates about emergency conditions, and other vital information, in addition to what you’ll receive from other sources.
    • Check our websites for updates about emergency conditions, what to do, where to go or other information you should know.
    • You may also receive information from television, radio and other sources, including door-to-door notification.
  • Help family members and neighbours.
  • Don’t forget your pets!

Be emergency ready – prepare for the first 72 hours of an emergency

  • Know the risks
  • Make a plan
  • Get a survival kit
  • More information

    To download Halton’s Personal Emergency Preparedness Guide, learn more about Halton’s Emergency Management program and what you can do to be prepared, visit, dial 311 or visit your local government website.