Frequently asked questions

Page Contents

How can I make a donation or volunteer my time?

HMC Connections (formerly Halton Multicultural Council), the Halton District School Board (HDSB) and the UN Refugee Agency (external link) all offer opportunities to assist Syrian refugees.

How do I become a sponsor?

Several organizations provide opportunities to sponsor Syrian refugees, including local faith-based organizations, Lifeline Syria (external link), and Citizenship and Immigration Canada (CIC) (external link).

Are there any other resources or organizations where I can find out more about helping?

For additional ways to help, see the list of International Organizations That Assist Syrian Refugees (external link) on the Association of Municipalities of Ontario website.

What does it cost to sponsor a refugee?

The Government of Canada’s website provides a Guide to the Private Sponsorship of Refugees Program (external link). The guide is intended for private sponsors (i.e., Sponsorship Agreement Holders (SAHs) and their Constituent Groups (CG), Groups of Five (G5) and Community Sponsors (CS)) in Canada who are interested in sponsoring refugees from abroad.

Is there a welcome centre in Halton?

Yes, there is a Welcome Centre located at Gary Allan High School, 215 Ontario Street South in Milton. The Welcome Centre assists newcomer students and their families. Services include registration, academic and language assessment, and resources about the Ontario school system. Settlement services are also available. Donations are also accepted at the Welcome Centre.

What housing services does Halton Region offer to newcomers?

Halton Region’s Housing Services provides a range of services including access to affordable market housing,
subsidized housing, housing with supports, an emergency shelter program, as well as one-time financial assistance for low-income individuals and families experiencing difficulty with housing costs.

Can Halton Region help newcomers find a job?

Yes. Employment Halton provides a free range of programs and services to help people search for a job or train for a new career.

What public health services does Halton Region offer to newcomers?

There are several public health supports available to residents and newcomers in Halton, including parenting supports, immunization and help finding a family doctor.

How do I apply for childcare subsidy in Halton Region?

Halton Region provides information on how to apply for childcare subsidy for eligible families.