Try the new

Halton/Peel Municipal Boundary Realignment - Frequently Asked Questions

How will my property taxes be affected by the boundary re-alignment?

Since Mississauga and Peel tax rates differ from those in Milton and Halton, the 24 residential taxpayers will see an increase in property taxes of 16.67% while the 5 commercial taxpayers will see an increase in taxes of 16.18% (excluding the impact of the non-residential property tax cap).

top of page

What services will I receive from Mississauga and Peel?

Similar programs and services that are currently available to Corridor Land residents will be available from the City of Mississauga and the Region of Peel.

Ninth Line and Lower Base Line Roads will be maintained by the City of Mississauga. Britannia and Derry Roads will be maintained by the Region of Peel.

The City of Mississauga Emergency Plan available on the City's website is applicable to all citizens and would cover the residents of the Corridor Lands once the annexation occurs.

Similarly information regarding the Region of Peel Emergency Plan is available from the Region of Peel website and will be applicable subsequent to annexation.

Solid waste collection and recycling services will be provided by the Region of Peel.

top of page

What ward will I vote in for the municipal election?

Because the boundary re-alignment is taking place prior to January 1, 2010, residents of the Corridor Lands will vote in the Mississauga municipal election in 2010. A map of the new ward boundaries is attached to the restructuring proposal and will be part of the Order made by the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing.

The lands will become part of Wards 8, 9 and 10 in the City of Mississauga. Eligible electors who are landowners or residents of these lands will be receiving a voter notification card in October 2010 that will provide ward, poll and where to vote information.

In addition, eligible electors may contact the Office of the City Clerk in September 2010 to ensure their name appears on the Voters List by calling 905-6l5-VOTE.

top of page

What schools will my children attend?

The boundaries of the area school boards follow the boundaries of the upper-tier municipality under the provisions of the Education Act and so will be amended to reflect the boundary adjustment. Specific inquiries as to the impact of the new school board boundaries must be referred to the relevant school board.

top of page

Where do I submit planning applications for my lands?

Planning applications should be submitted to:

Planning Services Centre
Planning and Building Department
Mississauga City Hall
300 City Centre Drive

The Planning Services Centre provides development application advice, arranges preliminary meetings and accepts planning application submissions.

If you have any questions regarding the application process, please contact the Planning and Building Department during normal business hours at 905-615-3200 ext. 5511.

top of page

What municipal by-laws will I be subject to?

As of January 1,2010, the properties in the corridor lands will be subject to the by-laws of the City of Mississauga and the Region of Peel, except as otherwise noted in the restructuring proposal.

top of page

What Zoning By-law and Official Plan policies will my property be subject to?

As part of the boundary adjustment process, the provisions of the Zoning By-law and Official Plan of the Town of Milton and the Official Plan of the Region of Halton shall become official plans and zoning by-laws for the City of Mississauga and the Region of Peel and shall remain in force until amended or repealed. The Memorandum of Understanding previously entered into between the four municipalities indicated agreement by the parties that the development rights for the corridor lands will not be negatively impacted by the proposed annexation.

top of page