To assist in confirming bed bug infestations, Halton Region Health Department provides a free bed bug identification service to Halton residents.
When to submit a sample
Bed bugs are easiest to identify when they resemble one of the adult stages in their life cycle. The adult bed bug is approximately the size of an apple seed. Other indications that it might be time to submit a sample include:
- Blood stains and black fecal marks on bedding and/or mattress
- Itchy bite marks or welts noticed on your face, neck, upper torso, arms or hands
How to submit a sample
- Collect an adult, kill and preserve it in a clear, watertight container with 70% rubbing alcohol. Be sure not to squish or stick the insect to tape.
- Complete the Bed Bug Identification Form (PDF file)
- Drop off your sample with completed form to Halton Region's Health Department weekdays between 8:30 a.m. - 4:30 p.m.
1151 Bronte Road
Oakville, Ontario, Canada, L6M 3L1