Employers have an obligation to maintain a safe work environment for their workers. A workplace vaccination policy is an important measure employers should implement to protect their workers and the public.
Halton’s Medical Officer of Health, Dr. Hamidah Meghani, has recommended that all local employers address the need for a workplace vaccination policy to protect their workers and the public from COVID-19 (PDF file).
Assess your workplace risk of COVID-19 transmission. For example:
- How many workers are part of your workforce?
- Are workers required to be in close contact with others, while performing their work?
- Does your workplace have: physical barriers when workers cannot keep distance from each other, customers/patrons or the public; good ventilation; and/or personal protective equipment (PPE) to protect workers?
- Do you have workers who may be at risk for severe illness from COVID-19? Some people may have reduced immunity due to age, pre-existing health conditions or medical treatments.
- Is your workplace able to offer alternative work for people who require accommodation, for example remote work?
Workplace vaccination policies should adhere to the Occupational Health and Safety Act (external link), the Ontario Human Rights Code (external link), and privacy laws (external link).