Skip Navigation



Good governance in Halton Region is accomplished in part by the implementation of by-laws. Learn more about by-laws, and find by-law content, for Halton Region.

About by-laws

By-laws are public laws and policies intended to keep Halton a safe, healthy and clean place to live. Halton's Regional Council considers and approves by-laws that address the government responsibilities of the Region. Local municipalities also have by-laws. The by-laws of both levels of government work together as frameworks for successful communities.

Halton Region departments and divisions interpret and manage by-laws set by Council. They may recommend by-law updates.

Accessing by-laws

You may access by-laws by using our Council Documents and By-Laws search tool, or by navigating through our list of frequently requested by-laws (below).

NOTE: The by-laws available on this website are provided as a convenience only. User should verify all information before acting on it. Some versions of by-laws may be consolidated. A consolidated by-law is one that includes some or all changes ("amendments") that have been made to it.


Frequently requested by-laws

If you require a Regional by-law in an alternate format, please call 311, TTY 905-827-9833 or 1-866-442-5866.

Development Charges

Currently, the Region has three Development Charges By-Laws that govern development charge collections in the Region:

(Applies to residential development within the Recovery Area where such lands require a servicing allocation under a future allocation program)

  • By-law 36-17 (passed June 14, 2017 and effective September 1, 2017)
    Residential and Non-Residential Water, Wastewater, Roads and General Services Development Charges for Built Boundary, Greenfield, and Rural areas
  • By-law 37-17 (passed June 14, 2017 and effective Sept. 1, 2017)
    Residential Recovery of Early Payment of Water, Wastewater and Roads Development Charges for DC Recovery Area
  • By-law 159-01 (as amended by By-law 78-12 and By-law 38-17 Consolidated for Reference Purpose Only)
    Residential GO Transit DC for Region-wide;
    • By-law 159-01 (passed and effective November 14, 2001)
    • By-law 78-12 (amends By-Law No. 159-01 passed July 11, 2012 and effective September 5, 2012)
    • By-law 38-17 (amends By-Law 159-01 passed June 14, 2017 and effective September 1, 2017)

These By-laws set out the applicable services for residential development based on the number and type of dwelling units and non-residential development based on total floor area. Development charge rates are indexed annually (April 1) and are subject to change when an existing Development Charges By-law is amended or repealed by Council, or a new Development Charges By-law is passed by Council.

More on Development Charges

Drinking Water System

A by-law to repeal and replace by-law no. 131-10, as amended, being a by-law respecting the supply of water, the establishment, construction, maintenance, operation, improvement and extension of drinking water systems for the Regional Municipality of Halton and the establishment of water rates and charges and, by-law no. 61-11 being a by-law respecting the prevention of backflow into the water system of the Regional Municipality of Halton.

Fees & Charges

2019 fees and charges for services provided by the Regional Municipality of Halton.

More on the Budget & Business Plan

Food Handler Certification

Mandatory Food Handler Certification.

More on Food Safety

Forest Use

Governs the permitted and prohibited activities in Halton Regional forest tracts.

More on Regional Forests

Garbage Collection

Establishes and implements single-tier waste management throughout Halton Region.

More on Recycling and Waste

Procedural By-law

Governs the proceedings of Halton Regional Council, its Committees and the conduct of its Members.

More on Decision Making at Halton


Establishes Halton Region's procurement policies and procedures.

More on Doing Business with Halton Region

Regional Roads

Prohibits, restricts and regulates access to Halton's Regional Road System.

More on Regional Roads

Retail Sales on Regional Roads

Prohibits retail sale on Halton's Regional roads.

More on By-law Enforcement


Regulates the placing or erecting of signs within a Regional Road Right-of-Way.

More on Regional Roads


Prohibits smoking within 9 metres from any entrance or exit of buildings owned or leased by Halton Region or its Local Municipalities.

More on Smoking


Prohibits or regulates the destruction or injuring of trees in Halton Region.

More on Trees

Uniform Traffic Control

Regulates traffic and parking on highways.


Prohibits, regulates and controls discharges into bodies of waters within regional boundaries or into Halton's Regional sanitary sewers, storm sewers, sanitary sewage works and all tributary sewer systems.

More on Wastewater

Wastewater Fees & Charges

2019 Wastewater fees and charges for the collection and disposal of wastewater (sewage) in the Regional Municipality of Halton.

More on the Budget & Business Plan

Wastewater System

Governs the collection and transmission of wastewater, the establishment, construction, maintenance, operation, improvement, and extension of wastewater systems of Halton Region and establishment of wastewater sewer rates and charges.

More on Wastewater

Water and Wastewater Connection Charges

Connection charges for connections of buildings to the waterworks system and wastewater works (sewage) system of Halton Region and for service extensions.

More on the Budget & Business Plan

Water Rates and Charges

2019 water rates and charges for the production, treatment, storage and distribution of water in the Regional Municipality of Halton.

More on the Budget & Business Plan

By-law enforcement

By-law enforcement officers ensure conformance to Regional by-laws. Current by-law enforcement officers are listed online, along with their respective by-law. If you have a question or a concern about a possible by-law violation, please call 311 and ask for the corresponding by-law enforcement officer.

Contact the Regional Clerk

If you would like to verify information, require a certified true copy or request a copy of a by-law prior to 1973, contact the Regional Clerk.

Phone: 905.825.6000 ext. 7405
Toll Free: 1.866.442.5866 ext. 7405