The City of Burlington, the Town of Halton Hills, the Town of Oakville and the Regional Municipality of Halton have established a Joint Compliance Audit Committee for 2018-2022.
This Committee is required by the Municipal Elections Act, 1996 (the “Act”) to consider applications requesting audits of candidates’ and third-party advertisers’ campaign finances related to the 2018 Municipal Election. The Committee will also consider any reports of apparent over-limit contributions.
The committee is composed of six members with backgrounds in:
- election administration and/or public administration.
The members are not permitted to be:
- members of Council,
- employees of any of the member municipalities,
- candidates or registered third parties in Halton in the 2018 Municipal Election,
- assistants to any candidate or third party campaign in Halton in the 2018 Municipal Election, or
- anyone who has participated in a campaign in these capacities in the past two municipal elections.
The duties of the Compliance Audit Committee are as follows:
- Consider Compliance Audit applications for Candidates and/or Registered Third Parties and decide whether they should be granted or rejected.
- If an application is granted, appoint an Auditor to conduct a Compliance Audit of the Candidate and/or Registered Third Party’s election campaign finances.
- Once the Auditor’s report is received, consider the report and if the report contains a conclusion of apparent contravention of the Act, decide whether to commence a legal proceeding against the candidate/registered third party for the apparent contravention.
- Receive a Clerk’s Report identifying any contributor to a Candidate or Registered Third Party who appears to have contravened established contribution limits.
- Once the Clerk’s Report is received, consider the Report and decide whether to commence a legal proceeding against the Contributor for the apparent contravention.
The process for submitting a Compliance Audit application will be made available closer to the first deadline for filing of the candidates’/registered third parties’ financial statements, which occurs on March 29, 2019.
Reports and Documents
If you require documents in an alternate format, email firstname.lastname@example.org or dial 311.
- Graham Milne, Regional Clerk