Due to significant demand for the child care subsidy, there are currently higher than normal wait times. To learn how to apply for the subsidy or start the application process, see below.
To be eligible for child care fee subsidy, you must:
- Live in Halton Region
- Be working, training or attending school
- Have children from birth to 12 years of age in licensed child care programs
- Be financially eligible for the child care fee subsidy
Financial eligibility depends on your income. You must file an income tax return and complete an Income Test to determine if you qualify for child care fee subsidy. You will also need a recent copy of one of the following documents:
Exception: Recent immigrants who did not live in Canada in the previous year and had no Canadian income to report for income tax purposes do not need to have filed an income tax return. Your adjusted income will be considered zero for the first year.
Children with special needs
Parents of children with special needs may be eligible for child care fee subsidy for children up to 12 years of age. Call 311 and ask for services for children with special needs.
Child care subsidy calculator
The fee subsidy is based on your family's total income and child care costs. Use the Child Care Subsidy Calculator to see if you are eligible for a fee subsidy, and to find the amount you qualify for.
Note: This tool does not guarantee eligibility for the program.
Applying for child care fee subsidy
To apply for child care fee subsidy:
- Fill out the online form or call 311. If you submit the online form, you will receive an email confirmation.
- A Halton Region Children's Services Intake Worker will call you within 7 to 10 business days to discuss your application. It is helpful to have your Notice of Assessment or your Canada Child Benefit information available for this call.
- If it appears that you may be eligible for child care subsidy, Children’s Services will mail you a letter outlining all the documents you need to complete to continue the application process.
- Send all required documents. Your application is considered incomplete until all the documentation has been received.
- You will receive a confirmation email from Children’s Service confirming the submission of your documents and outlining the next steps in the application process.
Halton Region will provide an interpreter at no cost, if you require assistance.
All Halton Region offices are wheelchair accessible. Use Halton Region’s TTY line (905-827-9833) to contact us if you have a hearing impairment.