Skip Navigation

Property Owners and Tenants

Whether you own or rent, it is important to know who is responsible for paying water and wastewater charges. Learn more about paying your water bill.

Whether you own property in Halton Region, or are a tenant in a rental property, it's important to know who is responsible for paying water and wastewater charges.

Paying your water bill

Halton Region charges you for water and wastewater services through your local hydro provider. Water and Wastewater charges appear on your utility bill and are paid through the same account.

Unpaid charges

Unpaid water and wastewater charges can be added to the property's tax bill and collected from the property owner in the same manner as unpaid municipal taxes. In these cases, the outstanding fees and charges will have priority lien status under the Municipal Act, 2001.

Third party accounts

Property owners can assign a third party, such as a tenant or property manager, to maintain an account for water and wastewater services. Although billing and payment notifications can be forwarded to the account holder, unpaid charges are still added to the property's tax bill as described above.

Transferring property ownership

When you transfer ownership of your property, contact your local hydro provider for the final water meter reading and transfer information. Transfer information includes:

  • Unpaid water and wastewater charges
  • Known compliance issues, such as obsolete equipment

If you do not request this information, then outstanding balances and compliance issues are transferred with the property and become the buyer’s responsibility.

Extended absences

To arrange account payments while you are away, contact your local hydro provider.

You can also shut off the water to the property (except when water is used for heating purposes) by closing the shut-off valve at the water meter. If there is no central shut-off valve, close individual valves for toilets, sinks, tubs and washing machines to prevent damages from a water leak.

Local hydro utility

For information on water readings, billings, and payments, contact your local hydro provider.

Utility Website Telephone
Burlington Hydro Inc. (external link) 905-332-1851
Halton Hills Hydro Inc. (external link) 519-853-3700
Milton Hydro (external link) 905-876-4611
Oakville Hydro (external link) 905-825-9400

What am I responsible for?

Property owners are responsible for the maintenance of all services, plumbing and devices located on private property. Learn more about the different roles and responsibilities of property owners and Halton Region in the Drinking Water System By-law