Employers looking to invest in their workforce and boost business performance can find many support programs in Halton and Ontario.
Canada Ontario Job Grant (COJG)
In 2014, the Canada-Ontario Job Fund Agreement was created. This agreement helps fund initiatives for Ontario's employers to develop their workforce and boost business performance.
Funding may be granted to small, medium and large businesses that want to invest in short-term training for their employees. The COJG will:
- Assist with training costs up to a maximum of $10,000 (per person).
- Employers will be required to contribute ⅓ of the total costs.
- Small businesses may be allowed to provide an in-kind contribution towards their share of the costs.
- Require training to be provided by a qualified third-party trainer.
Employer Overview Presentation (external PDF)
COJG FAQs (external link), including topics such as:
- Employer, Training and Individual Eligibility
- Application Form, Process and Assessment
- Employment Insurance
- Job Placements
More information and to apply for COJG (external link).
COJG skills training pilot programs
Based on evidence from successful employer-driven training programs, the Ministry has also launched 2 skills training pilots.
This pilot will assist with developing and delivering training solutions:
- that are specific to the individual company needs.
- where no such training already exists.
More information and to apply for the COJG: Customized Training pilot (external link).
UpSkill will provide short-term technical and essential skills training aligned with the shared needs of participating sectors.
Employer Training Presentation (external link)
Click here (external link) for COJG pilot FAQs, including topics such as:
- Application and Call for Proposal Process
More information and to apply for the COJG: Upskill pilot (external link).
Employment Halton offers training incentives that may benefit your company. Incentives can offset the cost of training and hourly wages. They are based on:
- Individual needs
- Job complexity
- Length of training required
You may be eligible for a $2,000 employer signing bonus if you register, train and hire an apprentice:
- $1,000 when the individual is registered.
- $1,000 six months later if the individual is still working.