Skip Navigation

Immunization Information for Families

Infectious diseases are commonly spread among children who are not immunized. Learn about how and where to immunize your children in Halton Region.

Important information regarding Halton Public Health school programs

  • Until further notice, Halton Region Public Health has temporarily suspended some school health programs. This includes:
    • vaccine education sessions for parents and guardians;
    • oral health clinics; and
    • school health promotion activities performed by public health nurses.  
  • Planning for immunization catch-up clinics for all students is underway. Please check back regularly for updates. 

Infectious diseases are commonly spread among children who are not immunized. Immunizing your child protects them, and the community, from infectious disease. Report all your child's immunizations to the Halton Region Health Department. Your doctor does not report them for you.

Halton Region residents

At your family doctor’s office (see a list of New Family Physicians in Halton Region accepting patients)

Grade 7 students

  • School-based immunization clinics for Hepatitis B, HPV and Meningococcal ACYW-135

If you have updated the Health Department with your child’s immunization records or are wondering if your school submitted them on your behalf, we can let you know what records we have on file. You can access your child’s immunization records:

Get more information about Ontario’s Publicly Funded Immunization Schedules (external link).

Age Immunizations
2 months
  • Diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, polio & Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib)
  • Pneumococcal
  • Rotavirus
4 months
  • Diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, polio & Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib)
  • Pneumococcal
  • Rotavirus
6 months
  • Diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, polio & Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib)
  • Influenza (fall)
  • Rotavirus (born after July 1, 2018)
12 months
  • Pneumococcal
  • Meningococcal conjugate (Men-C-C)
  • Measles, mumps & rubella
  • Influenza (fall)
15 months
  • Varicella
  • Influenza (fall)
18 months
  • Diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis, polio & Haemophilus influenzae type b (Hib)
  • Influenza (fall)

Children in child care

According to Ontario’s Child Care and Early Years Act (2014) (external link), students who attend licensed child care centres must be immunized against certain diseases, unless they have an exemption. Your child care centre requires proof of immunization or exemption before your child can attend the centre. It’s the law and helps keep our children safe and healthy!

The Halton Region Health Department collects, assesses and maintains immunization records for all children in licensed child care centres. This allows us to identify students who are at risk of certain diseases. Your child’s family doctor does not report their immunizations. Parents must submit these records to the Health Department AND to their child care centre.

Parents should do the following:

  • Request a copy of the updated record.
  • Submit the record received from the Health Department to the child care centre.

Children attending child care must be immunized against:

  • Diphtheria, tetanus, pertussis (whooping cough), polio and haemophilus influenza type b (Hib)
  • Pneumococcal disease
  • Rotavirus
  • Measles, mumps and rubella (German measles)
  • Varicella (chickenpox)
  • Meningococcal disease

The following immunizations are recommended and available free of charge:

Age Immunizations
4 - 6 years
  • Tetanus, diphtheria, pertussis & polio (Tdap-IPV)
  • Measles, mumps, rubella & varicella (MMRV)
  • Influenza (every fall)
Grade 7
  • Hepatitis B
  • Meningococcal Conjugate (Men-C-ACYW)
  • Human Papillomavirus (HPV)
  • Influenza (every fall)
14 - 16 years
  • Tetanus, diphtheria & pertussis (Tdap)
  • Influenza (every fall)

The Halton Region Health Department administers the following publicly funded vaccines for Grade 7 students at school clinics:

*Meningococcal Conjugate-ACYW-135 is a required immunization for school attendance under the Immunization of School Pupils Act. Learn more about obtaining a medical or non-medical exemption for this vaccine and other mandatory vaccines.

**Human Papillomavirus and Hepatitis B are recommended for students in this age group.

All immunizations listed in the Publicly Funded Immunization Schedule are recommended. However, specific immunizations are legally required for students attending school in Halton Region as per the Immunization of School Pupil’s Act (ISPA) (external link). Halton Region Health Department enforces ISPA on behalf of the province.

Parents must provide proof that their children have the following immunizations to legally attend school:

  • Diphtheria
  • Rubella
  • Pertussis (whooping cough)
  • Tetanus
  • Varicella (chicken pox) – for those born in 2010 or later
  • Measles
  • Mumps
  • Polio
  • Meningococcal disease

For more information, download this Parent Handout (external PDF) developed by the Province of Ontario, or call the Health Department by dialing 311.

A parent/guardian can temporarily or permanently exempt a child from receiving immunizations based on the following:

  • Medical reasons
  • Conscience or religious belief

An exemption allows an unimmunized or under-immunized child to attend school. However, in the event of an infectious disease outbreak, the Medical Officer of Health has a responsibility to ensure that the child does not attend school until the outbreak is over.

For personal choice

For medical reasons

  • Have a doctor fill out a medical exemption form
  • Bring the form to the Halton Region Health Department

See more information on the vaccine exemption process.