Respite care is a short-stay service that provides relief to families and caregivers in the community. Allendale Long-Term Care offers stays from one week to 60 days with a maximum of 90 days per calendar year (subject to availability). This program can also be an opportunity for a person to “trial” living in long-term care.
Allendale provides the following services:
- 1 private respite room with a 2-piece washroom
- 24-hour nursing care
- All meals and snacks
- Laundry services
- Access to programs and facilities within Allendale
- Incontinence products (if required)
Services for additional charge
Upon admission, you have the option to sign up for optional on-site services, including:
- Hair salon
- Special outings
- Bar charges
- Tuck shop
- Specialized foot care (fee)
- Cable television ($1.00 per day)
Cost of program
The Ontario Ministry of Health and Long Term Care sets rates for all long-term care homes in Ontario. Rates vary based on the room type. Current rates are subject to change.
Applying for the program
Contact your Local Health Integration Network (LHIN) to apply for respite care. LHIN Home and Community Care staff will work with you to complete the required paperwork. Visit the LHIN Home and Community Care Website for more information.
Please book as early as possible. To apply, contact LHIN:
- North Halton, Oakville or Milton: 1-877-336-9090
- Burlington: 1-800-810-0000
The LHIN will send the completed application and your requested dates to Allendale for review.
What to bring
List of current medications
- Please provide an up-to-date medication list (printout from doctor or pharmacy), which includes the dispensing script (time and dose of medication).
- For safety reasons, we cannot accept medications. The pharmacy must dispense all medications.
- Please bring approximately 7 changes of clean, machine-washable, seasonal clothes.
- Allendale is unable to care for clothes that need to be dry cleaned or hand washed.
- Labelling of clothing is done at Allendale. Your name and resident number should be affixed to anything that might be sent to the laundry and has the potential to get lost (e.g., clothes, pillows, bedspread).
- Please do not bring valuable items, such as cash or expensive jewellery, as we cannot be responsible if they get lost.
- Personal items such as photographs, books, comforters or pillows are welcomed during your stay.
Allendale Long-Term Care
185 Ontario St. S.
For more information or to schedule a tour: