Halton Region is home to an active and vibrant farming industry, which includes a wide range of farming types, including livestock operations, cash crops, fruit and vegetable growers, horse farms, nurseries and more. A “Snapshot of Agriculture in Halton” provides information based on the 2016 Census of Agriculture”.
Key Farming Statistics for Halton Region
- Mushroom farming produces the highest gross farm receipts in Halton Region.
- Gross farm receipts increased by 16 percent in 2016 as compared to the previous Census period.
- Halton Region is home to a number of farm businesses that offer agri-tourism activities.
- The agriculture and food sector is responsible for approximately 24 percent of employment in Halton region.
- Halton Region has a vibrant agricultural industry that includes horticulture and equine sub sectors.
Halton's Participation in the Golden Horseshoe Food and Farming Action Plan
The Greater Toronto Area Agricultural Action Committee (GTA AAC) (of which Halton Region is a member), in partnership with the Region of Niagara and the City of Hamilton has developed and released a 10 year Golden Horseshoe Food and Farming Action Plan. This identifies 5 key pillars and actions to 2021 that will support food and farming in the Golden Horseshoe.