Skip Navigation

Special Events - Public Health Requirements


Holding a special event where foods are prepared, processed, or sold to the public requires approval from the Health Department.

Types of special events

Special events that require approval from the Health Department include, but are not limited to:

  • Carnivals
  • Festivals
  • Farmers' markets
  • Fall fairs
  • Special occasions
  • Petting zoos
  • Animal rides
  • Animal exhibits
  • Open farms

Call 311 or contact the Health Department for a full listing of types of special events that require approval.

Getting approval

If you are a coordinator or operator of a special event where foods are prepared, processed or sold to the public for eating either on or off-site, then you require approval from Halton Region's Health Department.

Start the approval process at least 8 weeks before the event. Visit Responsibilities of a Coordinator for a listing of what you should submit to the Health Department.

How to apply


Coordinators of special events

Food vendors

Food vendors of special events

Animal operators

Operators of petting zoos, animal rides, animal exhibits and open farms