It is important to watch your baby for signs that they are full while you are feeding them. Your baby might show you they are full by:
- slowing down or stopping sucking
- closing their mouth
- turning their head away
- pushing away from the bottle or the person feeding them
- falling asleep and no longer showing interest in eating
Never force your baby to eat when they don’t want to.
It is also important to watch your baby for signs of stress during a feeding.
Your baby can become stressed or overwhelmed if:
- the flow of the milk is too fast
- they are full
- they need a break
Signs that your baby could be stressed during a feeding are:
- waving their hands or frantic movements
- frowning or grunting
- pushing away
- arching their back
If your baby is showing signs of stress while feeding, stop and try again when your baby is calm and shows interest in feeding again.