All Halton Region landowners must decommission (remove from service) any unused wells on their property. This reduces the risk of groundwater contamination, which is important in areas where people use groundwater for drinking water.
Halton Region offers a Residential Private Well Decommissioning Grant to landowners who plan to decommission their unused well(s). The grant covers 50% of the total cost up to a maximum of $1,000.00 per well.
This program is intended for private domestic residential wells. Developers are not eligible for the grant.
How to apply for the grant
Important: Submit a completed grant application before beginning any work. Halton Region staff must inspect the well before decommissioning and approve any work to be eligible for the grant.
- The landowner of the well(s)* must fill out the Residential Private Well Decommissioning Grant - Application Form (PDF file):
mail: Residential Private Well Decommissioning Grant
Attention: Source Protection
1151 Bronte Road
Oakville, Ontario L6M 3L1
* You can fill out 1 form to decommission more than 1 well on a single property.
- Halton Region will contact the landowner to schedule an inspection of the well before decommissioning.
- The landowner must hire a licensed well contractor to perform all work according to Ontario Regulation 903 (external link).
- Once the work is complete, send the following documents to receive the grant:
(a) A copy of the well contractor's license
(b) The water well decommissioning record (which is also submitted to the Ministry of the Environment and Climate Change)
(c) Original receipts
- Upon receiving this documentation, Halton Region staff will:
- Contact the landowner to arrange an on-site visit to inspect the decommissioned well
- Confirm that the work has been completed according to Ontario Regulation 903 (external link)
- Confirm eligibility for the grant
Note: The program runs on a first come, first serve basis, and funds are limited. Please allow six to eight weeks for processing of payment.
Eligible reimbursement costs
Costs that will be reimbursed
- Licensed well contractor fees
Costs that will not be reimbursed
- Drilling new wells
- Well pumps
- Water purification and/or treatment systems
- Well upgrades
Applicants must accept all terms and conditions of the Residential Private Well Decommissioning Grant Program to be eligible for funding. Section 7 (page 4) of the Residential Private Well Decommissioning Grant - Application Form (PDF file) includes a complete list of Terms and Conditions.