Skip Navigation

About 311


What is 311?

When you want to reach a government service in Halton - call 311!

  • 311 is a three-digit, non-emergency telephone number providing direct access to Halton government services.
  • 311 provides free, multilingual help to anyone calling from within Halton region.
  • It allows citizens to request a service or receive general information.

How does 311 work?

  • 311 calls are answered by customer service representatives in Access Halton.
  • Halton Region manages this service on behalf of these 8 partner organizations:
    • The Regional and local municipal governments
    • Halton Regional Police Service
    • Halton District School Board
    • Halton Catholic District School Board
  • YOUR CALL will be directed to the correct program or service.
  • Our trained customer service representatives are able to respond to your inquiries on a vast array of Halton government services.

Will 311 work from cell phones, payphones, etc.?

  • Yes.

How can I contact 311 Halton from outside the region?

  • If you are outside Halton, you can contact a 311 customer service representative by calling 905-825-6000 or 1-866-442-5866.

Will 311 work using Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) or a digital phone service?

  • 311 will function with VoIP services when the service provider has configured the user's location to be within Halton's boundaries
  • If your VoIP telephone service does not provide 311 service, ask your service provider to configure your location.
  • You may also:
    • try our online tools
    • download our mobile app
    • email
    • call us toll-free at 1-866-442-5866

I called 311, but did not reach Halton Region. What can I do?

  • Call us on our extended phone line: 905-825-6000 (or toll-free, 1-866-442-5866).
  • If you call 311 from a residential landline phone within Halton and cannot connect with us, contact your telephone service provider.
    • Please also report the matter to us so we can investigate by calling 905-825-6000 or 1-866-442-5866.
  • If you call 311 from a cell phone while in close proximity to a regional border, you may connect to a cellular tower outside Halton.
    • You may reach Peel Region (if near Mississauga/Brampton) or your call may not connect (if near Hamilton/Wellington County). In these areas, please call 905-825-6000 or 1-866-442-5866.

I can call 311 from my home but it doesn't work from my office. Why not?

  • Some organizations have complex telephone systems that may not be configured for users to connect with us by calling 311. For assistance, contact your organization's system administrator.

My cell phone number is linked to another municipality. Can I still call 311 Halton?

  • Cell phones from other municipalities should connect with us when you call 311 within Halton's borders.
  • If your call does not connect, you can contact a 311 customer service representative by calling 905-825-6000 or 1-866-442-5866.

How can I learn more about 311?

To learn more:

  • Email and receive a response by the end of the next business day.
  • Call us at 311 or any of the numbers listed below to connect with a customer service representative.
    • 905-825-6000
    • Toll Free: 1-866-442-5866
    • TTY: 905-827-9833
  • Visit the Halton Regional Centre:

Our business hours are 8 a.m. - 5 p.m.