Why Halton Region is a great place to locate your business
Halton Region’s strong economy and talented labour force create the right environment for businesses to grow and prosper. As Canada’s most educated region and one of the fastest growing areas, Halton businesses have access to a young, diverse demographic, high quality of place, and boundless growth, collaboration and innovation opportunities.
Halton is located along the western edge of the Toronto Region in one of Canada’s most populous areas and close to the United States making it one of the top Canadian destinations for domestic and global investment.
- 40 minutes to Downtown Toronto, 60 minutes to U.S. border
- 10+ million people within an hour drive
- Largest highway network in Canada
- Close to 4 international airports
- 15 minutes to Toronto’s Pearson International airport (2nd largest in North America)
- Flights to six continents and 155 world destinations
- Under 2 hour flight to major U.S. markets (New York, Chicago, Boston and Washington)
- 30 minutes LRT to downtown Toronto
- Canadian National (CN) and Canadian Pacific (CP) rail lines connected to intermodal terminals
- 25 km shoreline along Lake Ontario (Great Lakes)
- 30 minutes to Toronto- or Hamilton Harbour and the Welland Canal accessing the St. Lawrence Seaway System
Halton boasts the most educated labour pool in Canada with 75% of residents holding post-secondary degrees and diplomas. Businesses invest in Halton because of the highly-educated and skilled people they can employ in sectors as diverse as manufacturing, professional and business services, technology, and life sciences.
- 20 colleges and universities within 60 minute drive
- 4.5+ million labour pool within an hour drive
- 75% of Halton residents have post-secondary education
- Among the most culturally diverse regions in the world with 140 languages spoken
- 23% of Halton residents are STEM Graduates (Science, technology, engineering, math, and computer sciences)
- Over one third of Halton residents have mgmt, finance or admin careers
Located within the Toronto-Waterloo Innovation Corridor, Canada’s technology super-cluster, Halton businesses are have access to over 20 universities and colleges, and numerous research and innovation resources including:
Innovation Centres & Co-Working Spaces
- Milton Education Village Innovation Centre
- TechPlace Burlington
- Sheridan College
- McMaster University – DeGroote School of Business
- Wilfrid Laurier University (Future Site)
Business Support Organization & Networks
- Angel One Investor Group
- Silicon Halton
- NGen Next Generation Manufacturing Canada
Halton is the fastest growing region in Ontario, with rapid population, labour force spurring record-breaking levels of residential and commercial development. With this growth comes an abundance of opportunities for business investment.
- 550,000+ residents, projected to exceed 1 million by 2041 (Growth Plan for the Greater Golden Horseshoe)
- 25% population growth and 21% labour force growth since 2006
- 2.7 sf million non-residential total floor area built in 2016
- $6.2B in ICI development construction over past 10 years
With a desirable lifestyle and boundless opportunities for recreation, quality education and world class universal healthcare, it’s no wonder Halton is the fastest growing area within the Toronto Region. Halton encompasses four communities, including the City of Burlington and the Town of Oakville along Lake Ontario and the Town of Milton and Town of Halton Hills along the Niagara Escarpment. Our vibrant communities offer an ideal mix of arts and culture, recreation, leisure, shopping, dining and all the amenities of urban living, while still maintaining their distinctive charm.
- Halton Region is Canada’s #1 safest large municipality
- Options for private education including Blythe Academy, Appleby College and Oxford Learning Academy
- State-of-the-art hospitals
- Affordable housing options and condominiums within the Toronto Region
- Close to major attractions including Toronto’s CN Tower, Niagara Falls, Royal Botanical Gardens, Niagara Escarpment World Biosphere Reserve, Toronto Premium Outlets, Canada’s Wonderland, Milton Velodrome
Halton’s robust economy is anchored on its diverse industry mix. Access to major markets, a highly skilled labour force, competitive costs, advanced infrastructure and a thriving research and technology community, have spurred growth and success for a range of industry sectors.
- Ford Motor Company of Canada, Limited
- Karmax Heavy Stamping (Division of Magna)
- Gordon Food Service
- Sofina Foods
- Modatek Systems (Division of Magna)
- Siemens Canada Ltd
- Collins Aerospace
- Mold Masters Ltd.
- Innomar Strategies
Visit our Data Insights page for a list of Halton employers with over 250 employees.
Whether investing in new development, undertaking expansions or operating your business, you will find reasonable and competitive costs in Halton Region.
- Corporate tax rate lower than the US
- Competitive property tax rates for industrial and commercial landowners
- Development charge rates midline to rest of Toronto Region
- $7.76/sf average net industrial rental rate
- $17.19/sf average net office rental rate
Halton businesses have access to all the services they need to operate smoothly and successfully, without undue interruptions. The Infrastructure Improvement Program continually invests in major projects to support growth and ensure the region is competitive for business.
- Building a Better Halton Plan - $4.1B Halton Regional investment over 10 years in capital infrastructure projects
- BuildON - $160B provincial investment over 12 years in critical infrastructure projects
- Broadband internet access regulated by the CRTC
- 3,700+ cell towers in the Toronto Region
- Major communications service providers (Bell, Cogeco, Rogers)
- Reliable local electricity distribution companies (Burlington Hydro, Halton Hills Hydro, Milton Hydro, Oakville Hydro)
- Hydro incentives and rebates available through IESO
- Natural gas services, incentives and rebates for business provided by Union Gas
How does Halton stack up?
#1 Canada’s Best Community 2019 (Burlington)
Oakville #4, Milton #17
#1 Canada’s safest municipality with a Population of 100,000+ (Halton)
#3 Canada’s Best Community for New Canadians 2019 (Oakville)
Burlington #6, Milton #13
#3 Canada’s Best Community to Retire 2019 (Burlington)
AAA Credit Rating (30+ years) (Regional Municipality of Halton)
#1 Canada’s Best Community to Raise Kids 2019 (Burlington)
Oakville #3, Milton #5
#2 Canada’s Fastest-Growing Community 2019 (Milton)
#3 Canada’s Best Community to Retire 2019 (Burlington)
#14 Canada’s Richest Places 2019 (Oakville)
Our Diverse Business Climate
Halton Region's Diverse Economy
Halton Region’s economic success is anchored in its diversity. We are home to a range of businesses across a range of economic sectors.
Businesses in Halton Region enjoy close proximity to major markets, access to a talented workforce, competitive costs, and room to grow. Our Region offers an unparalleled quality of life. We are recognized as one of the best places to invest and do business in Canada.
In Halton Region, you'll find a diverse blend of businesses from the following sectors:
Halton Region - A Great Place for Business
Halton region is one of the best places to invest, do business and live in Canada.
- We are located 30 minutes west of downtown Toronto.
- We provide quick access to the U.S border.
- We offer a market of over 9.5 million people within a one-hour drive.
Contact Our Economic Development Team
Halton Region's Economic Development team provides a wide range of services and support, regardless of the size of company:
- Site selection and real estate solutions
- Investment assistance
- Coordination of site visits and tours
- Statistics on Halton's economy and demographics
- Expansion and relocation assistance
- Export development
- Small Business Enterprise Centre
- Sector and industry analysis
- Liaison between government agencies, industry organizations and local businesses
- Workforce development
We will work with you on your investment needs and location preferences. We provide the support services and essential information you need to move forward.
For more information about Halton or to get connected to opportunities, contact us.
Hear from Halton Business Leaders
Sign up for Invest Halton email updates
Enter your email address to receive email updates from Invest Halton.