The enhanced 18-month visit is intended to support healthy development for all children in Ontario.
Why is 18 months an important time?
Key developmental skills, such as speech and language, are starting to emerge at 18 months. Your baby’s 18-month well-baby visit is a chance for:
- your healthcare provider to assess your child’s development
- you to discuss any concerns you may have
View the 18-Month Well-Baby Visit Video (external link) from the Ministry of Children and Youth Services
What can I expect?
- The 18-month visit will be longer and more in depth than previous visits
- You will be able to have a more detailed discussion about your child with your healthcare provider
How should I prepare for the visit?
- Complete the 18-month LookSee Checklist (formerly NDDS) screen before your visit
- Make note of any 'NO' boxes you have checked on the LookSee Checklist so that you can discuss these with your healthcare provider
- Make a list of any other questions or concerns that you would like to discuss with your healthcare provider
- Use the online 18 month Well-Baby Visit Planner (external link) to help you think about specific areas of your child's development to discuss with your healthcare provider at this visit