Other Basement Flooding Prevention Subsidies
How does the condition of your sewer (wastewater) lateral pipe impact possible basement flooding?
The sewer (wastewater) lateral is the pipe that runs underground from your home to the sewer wastewater main under the street. It carries all the sewage (wastewater) from your drains such as toilets, showers, sinks, washing machine and dishwasher.
Substandard conditions such as cracks in the sewer lateral pipe can encourage root infiltration into the pipe. As the roots accumulate in the pipe, they create a blockage which prevents wastewater from properly draining. This can result in a wastewater (sewer) backup in your home.
Halton Region’s Sanitary Lateral Lining and Repair subsidy covers 50% of costs incurred for materials and labour charged to repair the sanitary lateral (underground sewer/wastewater pipe), up to a maximum of $2,000.
A Backwater Valve provides additional protection against basement flooding. Undertaking sewer lateral repair offers a good opportunity to also install a Backwater Valve at the same. Please see our Backwater Valve Installation subsidy
for more details on how to qualify for this subsidy.
- This is a one-time subsidy per property.
- The residence where the work is undertaken must be located in Halton Region.
- The residence where the work is undertaken must have municipal wastewater services (not on a septic system).
- All work must have been completed after July 1, 2016 (work completed before this date is not eligible).
Please review the full Terms and Conditions in the subsidy application form before beginning backwater valve installation and/or sanitary lateral repairs.
- Before and after CCTV (closed-circuit TV) videos of the wastewater (sewer) lateral from the house to the property line. If you are lining the wastewater (sewer) lateral, ensure it does not obstruct the flow of wastewater from your neighbour’s lateral to the main sewer (wastewater) line.
- A copy of your building permit obtained from the Local Municipality i.e. Town of Halton Hills, Town of Milton, Town of Oakville, City of Burlington
- Confirmation that the building permit has passed final inspection through the Local Municipal Building Inspector i.e. Town of Halton Hills, Town of Milton, Town of Oakville, City of Burlington
- Itemized invoice showing paid in full, specifically listing any materials and labour, and identifying specifics of each component of repair/work. This is especially important if you are applying for more than one subsidy.
- Details of work completed.
- Itemized specific costs to determine eligible costs, such as CCTV videos, inspections and specifics about repair/installation (examples: spot repair, backwater valve installation and building permit).
- Shows that the invoice is paid in full.
View example invoice
Apply to the program
- Download the Enhanced Basement Flooding Prevention Subsidy Program application form (PDF file) and the Enhanced Basement Flooding Prevention Subsidy Program waiver form (PDF file) .
- Submit completed Application Form and Waiver along with the required documentation, electronically. Ensure submission completeness by following the Check List included on page 3 of the Application Form. Errors or omissions will delay approval of the subsidy.
- Scan and email your completed submission to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Upload larger files, such as CCTV video, to our online Dropbox platform here: http://2big4email.halton.ca/en/uploadfiles.aspx
For assistance with using Dropbox
Please see Dropbox instructions and example below:
- Where Dropbox requests “Your Email”:
- Insert Applicant’s email address
- Where Dropbox requests “Subject”:
- Insert Applicant’s last name, followed by address
- Where Dropbox requests “Message”:
- Insert brief description of each file you are attaching such as "Invoice"
- Where Dropbox requests “Password”:
- This is not a required field. If you do create and include a password for your Dropbox account, please email the password to email@example.com to allow staff to view and process your submission. Without the password, staff cannot view your Dropbox files.
- Where Dropbox requests “Expire Date”:
- This is not a required field. If you add an expiry date, it will prevent Halton staff from seeing the file past the expiry date.
- Where Dropbox requests Recipient “Email”, please insert the following email address: firstname.lastname@example.org
See Dropbox online form example below:
Additional options for subsidy submission include the following:
- Mail to:
Halton Region Public Works
c/o Water and Wastewater Program Ambassador
Woodlands Operations Centre
1179 Bronte Road, Oakville, ON L6M 4G3
- Drop off in person:
Place submission in the black mail box located in front of the sliding doors at the main entrance to Halton Regional Centre, located at 1151 Bronte Road, Oakville
Woodlands Operations Centre is currently closed to the public.