The report provides a comprehensive summary of the Region’s key activities and financial performance. It includes audited financial statements from the past year and highlights Regional initiatives, accomplishments and performance statistics.
Highlights of strategic investments
- Halton Region has budgeted a projected $4.1 billion in infrastructure investment over the next 10 years, including:
- Water and wastewater infrastructure: $2.1 billion to fund projects such as water and wastewater services for new developments; renewing aging infrastructure; and new water meter installations and replacements.
- Transportation infrastructure: $1.6 billion to support Regional transportation projects such as road widening; new roads; grade separation; and road resurfacing.
- Halton Region has invested $1.3 million in Waste Management to address market pressures and tonnage growth and expand the Container Station services at the Halton Waste Management Site.
- Halton has also made investment increases of $1.2 million in the Burlington Beach Waterfront Master Plan to maintain the Lake Ontario shoreline and make the waterfront more accessible to residents.
On January 30, 2020, Moody’s Investors Service published an update to their credit opinion of Halton Region’s rating, maintaining it at the highest rating of AAA over the past 31 years. Moody’s continues to attach a stable outlook to this rating indicating its confidence in Halton’s ability to maintain this standing into the future.
Moody’s rating analysis included the following rationale in support of the AAA rating:
- Excellent track record of posting strong fiscal results each year, supported by stable operations and an effective multi-year budgeting process
- Halton’s forward looking operating and capital plans to address pressures and spending requirements early on
- Low and declining debt burden and high levels of liquidity
- Diversified economy and strong population growth
Achieving a AAA rating status ensures that Halton Region and the four Local Municipalities that borrow under this credit rating will continue to obtain the best possible financing rates in the capital markets minimizing the longer term costs of infrastructure capital.
To learn more about Halton Region’s 2019 Annual Financial Report (PDF file) and Consolidated Financial Statements (PDF file), or request a hard copy, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call 311.
If you require these documents in an alternate format, please call 311, TTY 905-827-9833 or1-866-442-5866