Direct Bank Deposit
Ontario Works financial assistance can be directly deposited into your bank account instead of having a cheque mailed to you. Direct deposit offers many advantages, including:
- Faster and easier access to your funds
- More privacy around your payments
- No waiting for cheques to arrive
- No risk of lost or stolen cheques
What you need to know
- Your bank account must have withdrawal privileges.
- Your funds are deposited at 12:01 a.m. on the payment due date. It's important to note that ATM machines are a day behind.
- A monthly Statement of Direct Deposit will be mailed to you.
- Speak to your case manager if:
- You have concerns about creditors attempting to recover outstanding debts from funds in your account.
- Your account number or bank changes. Do not close the account linked with your Direct Deposit until the funds begin arriving in your new account.
Applying for direct deposit
You have two options to apply for direct deposit. Provide your case manager with:
- a cheque marked VOID (use your cheque only; do not use someone else's cheque); or,
- a completed direct deposit authorization form. You can obtain this form from your banking institution.
Monthly Ontario Works payments are deposited into your bank account at midnight on the last business day of the previous month. For full detail, review this payment schedule (external link) for the full calendar year of payment dates.
Cheques are typically mailed 3 days prior to the payment date/last business day of the previous month.
Status of payment
The Interactive Voice Response (IVR) telephone system is the best way to learn about the status of your payment. Instead of waiting to speak with your case manager, IVR can provide you with automated information during and outside of regular business hours.
Once you have been determined eligible to receive Ontario Works assistance, your case manager will grant you access to IVR. Your Personal Identification Number (PIN) number will be mailed to you within a few days of the initial grant date. You will require your PIN to login. Do not share this information with anyone.
Once you have your Member ID and PIN numbers, you can begin accessing IVR. It is very easy to use:
- Call 1-800-808-2268.
- When prompted, enter your 9-digit Member ID number and your 4-digit PIN.
- Use the telephone prompts to get details about your payment.
If you lose your Member ID or PIN number, the IVR Help Desk Attendant can help you by calling 1-800-808-2268.