Skip Navigation

Reporting Income to Ontario Works

Declaring any income that you receive is required on a monthly basis if you're receiving financial support from the Ontario Works program.

You must tell your case manager immediately if you begin to receive income from any source. In addition, all income must be declared on a statement of income each month. The completed statement of income must be submitted to your case manager by the 16th of each month unless your case manager has waived this requirement.

Examples of Income

Examples of income may include but are not limited to:

  • employment earnings
  • training allowances
  • boarder income
  • sponsorship payments
  • WSIB benefits
  • pensions
  • interest and dividends
  • repayment of a loan
  • insurance or accident claims
  • self-employment or farm income
  • OSAP
  • spousal support
  • EI benefits
  • War Veterans’ Allowance
  • sales of assets
  • legal settlements
  • inheritance or lotteries
  • compensation for victims of crime

Completing your Statement of Income

Proper and careful completion of your Statement of Income is critical if you are going to receive your monthly financial assistance cheque on time.

  • Fill in every box - if you have no income to report, write “nil” in each box.
  • Report and give proof of all money or income you receive regardless of the amount.
  • Return your Statement of Income by the 16th of each month.
  • Read the declaration before you sign, as the statement of income is a legal document.

Your Ontario Works Status

If you have any questions regarding the status of your cheque (e.g. has my cheque been mailed), please call the toll free Interactive Voice Response at 1-800-808-2268. For more information about the free Interactive Voice Response system.