What is the SPLIT program?
The SPLIT program offers eligible low income Halton residents with a subsidy for part of their local travel expenses.
Who is eligible for the SPLIT program?
If you are a student, adult or senior living with a low income in Halton, you may qualify for the SPLIT program.
Individuals receiving assistance from the Ontario Works or Ontario Disability Support (external link) programs, government and privately sponsored refugees may also be eligible.
What documents do I need to apply?
- The most recent Notice of Assessment from your tax return for all family members over the age of 18
- Government photo identification
- Proof of address in Halton Region
- Students must have a valid student ID card from the high school they attend
- Seniors must prove eligibility for the senior fare
- Sponsored refugees must provide immigration papers
How do I apply for the SPLIT program?
To apply for the SPLIT program, please call 311.
What happens after I call to apply?
- Staff will contact you and advise what information you need to provide.
- Once your information is reviewed, staff will let you know if you qualify.
- Your eligibility will be assessed annually.
What type of transit is covered with the SPLIT program?
The SPLIT program is only for public transit (buses) in Burlington (including Handi-Van). It does not include any other types of transportation (e.g. GO Transit, taxi services, etc.).
SPLIT users in Burlington benefit from a transfer agreement which will allow them to travel into Hamilton or Peel Region using “transfers”. The trip must be completed within a 2 hour period.
Where do I go to get my bus pass or tickets if I qualify?
Once you qualify, you can buy your bus pass or tickets for Burlington Transit at:
Personal information that you provide/provided for the SPLIT program is going to be used for all purposes related to administering the program which includes determining your eligibility for the Split program and sharing your contact information with the relevant transit operator through the Split program portal. Your information may also be used for research and statistical gathering for program enhancement. Your personal information is collected in accordance with section 11 of the Municipal Act, 2001, S.O. 2001, c. 25. Questions about the collection of your information can be addressed by calling 311 and asking to speak with the Supervisor of the SPLIT Program.