Project Type: Roads, Water, Sewer
Construction Start: Fall 2019
Construction End: Fall 2021
Project Number: PR-2079B
Project Status: Design
Mitigating construction impacts
Trafalgar road is one of the busiest roads in the region and we are making every effort to reduce the impact this work may have on residents, businesses and motorists.
- Phasing Construction: Work to widen the road will occur on one side of the road at a time. This allows two lanes of traffic to continue in each direction.
- Creating a “Smart Work Zone” by using:
- Electronic road signs that show up-to-date travel times;
- Overhead vehicle detection at traffic signals;
- Traffic monitoring through Closed Circuit Television (CCTV); and
- Coordination of network traffic operations.
- Coordinating with Oakville Transit to reduce the impact on transit users.
- Using trenchless technologies for water and stormwater main replacements to tunnel under Trafalgar Road and avoid full road closures.
- Employing a construction ambassador who will be on site and available to report to any questions or concerns.
Utilities, such as Oakville Hydro, have started moving hydro poles, along Trafalgar Road to prepare for this construction. The work may lane shifts or lane restrictions. We will make every effort to minimize any inconvenience. Emergency vehicle access will be maintained at all times.
When construction starts in fall 2019, there will be a series of planned road closures and lane restrictions. Residents, businesses and motorists will be given advanced notice of any traffic impacts, and mitigation plans will be put in place to keep traffic moving and provide motorists with safe alternatives.
There are no detours at this time. Residents, businesses and motorists will be given advanced notice of any changes.
- Noise: You may experience noise as a result of Regional improvements. Work will be scheduled in accordance with local noise by-laws.
- Dust and mud: There may be increased levels of dust and mud near the work site. The contractor is required to manage these impacts.
- Truck traffic: You will notice occasional increases in truck traffic around the ongoing work. Please be aware and use extra caution while driving.
- Tree pruning & removals: Due to the road widening, certain trees will either be pruned or removed. A Certified Arborist will direct the planting of new trees and replace trees previously lost through management of hazardous trees.
- Vibration: You may experience some vibration due to the work being done. As a precaution, we recommend that you remove or secure objects on shelves and walls.
Trafalgar Road (from Leighland Avenue to north of Hays Boulevard)
Municipal Class Environmental Assessment Studies