Preparing your Development Agreements
Once you have conditional approval on your application from a Local Municipality and have cleared Regional conditions, you can prepare a Development Agreement. Development Agreements between the applicant and Halton Region include design and construction requirements, as well as costs to build new watermains, wastewater mains and other Regional infrastructure.
A number of standard components need to be provided prior to preparing a Development Agreement. The Development Agreement Request Form (PDF file) describes these requirements and helps ensure you have included all necessary documents.
The following is a list of sample templates to help you prepare your agreement:
- Schedule 5: This provides a sample format for a typical letter of credit and a list of acceptable financial institutions that can provide letters of credit
- Certificate of Insurance: This provides a sample format for a typical Developer’s Certificate of Insurance
These templates are available upon request. Please email email@example.com or call 311 to request a copy of the template.
Once you have submitted your Agreement Request Package to Halton Region, you will generally receive the agreement in about 15 business days. To clarify requirements, please check the Development Agreement Request Form above.
At the Subdivision Agreement Stage, the developer is required to provide a certified cheque to cover:
- the engineering and inspection fees (this is based on a sliding scale, directly tied to the cost of construction);
- water meter installation fees;
- water and wastewater tapping fees (if applicable);
- legal administration fees;
- general administration fees;
- the water, wastewater and roads components of the Region's development charge; and
- the applicable Harmonized Sales Tax (HST).
Note: In some cases, there may be other charges.
Once a building permit is issued, the developer is required to pay the remainder of the Region-wide components (General Services) of the Region's development charge.
Note: A Development Charge Agreement may be required to collect Regional development charges before these two stages. Please check for the most current development charges information.
Service and engineering fees
Engineering and inspection fees are calculated as a percentage of the estimated cost of Regional water and wastewater services. Fees are based on a sliding scale.
|Total estimated cost of proposed water services, wastewater services and road works
||Engineering and inspections fee deposits*
|up to $100,000
||$5,000 or 10% (whichever is greater) +HST
|between $100,000.01 and $250,000
|between $250,000.01 and $500,000
|$500,000.01 or more
||5% +HST (To a maximum of $100, 000 + HST)
*The first $5,000 + $650 HST = $5,650 of the total engineering and inspection fee must be submitted at the time of the first engineering drawing submission, with the balance payable upon execution of the Development Agreement.
Note: Any portion of the engineering and inspection fee collected, including the $5,000 payment, is considered a one-time charge that is non-refundable.