Skip Navigation

Development Application Review


Learn how to submit a development application, including how to prepare an application, meet Regional development conditions and complete an development agreement request package.

Halton Region's role in development review

Halton Region reviews development proposals that need changes to Regional Official Plan policies or require a Regional Official Plan Amendment. In some cases, the Region will also review development applications that affect Local Official Plan Amendments.

If you are a non-residential developer or business looking to capitalize on a potential opportunity in Halton Region, you can connect with our Employment Land Concierge. The concierge is here to help you navigate the industrial and commercial development approvals process.

If you need to submit a development application to a Local Municipality, the Niagara Escarpment Commission or the Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing, please see the Development Contacts tab below.

How does the Region review development applications?

When Regional staff review and comment on development applications, we are interested in:

Stages of the Development Process

The tabs below provide more information to help guide you through the stages of a development proposal. These stages will vary based on the type, location and size of your application.

Preparing application materials

Pre-consultation meeting

Pre-consultation meetings are an important first step in the development application process. They provide land owners the opportunity to discuss their development proposal with Local, Regional and Conservation Authority staff directly. Applications may be for a(n):

  • Official Plan Amendment
  • Zoning By-law Amendment
  • Draft Plan of Subdivision
  • Draft Plan of Condominium
  • Site Plan Approval

Applications must follow the pre-consultation process implemented by each Local Municipality.

To arrange a pre-consultation meeting, contact the relevant Local Municipality directly (please see the Development Contacts tab).

Regional Official Plan Amendments

Regional Official Plan Amendments must be approved by Halton Region. To learn more about the Regional Official Plan Amendment (ROPA) process, including the ROPA application form (PDF file), you can visit the Regional Official Plan Amendments and Amendment Process page.

Preparing your development application:

When preparing your development applications, please review the following resources:

Once you have reviewed the documents and prepared the studies noted in your pre-consultation form, you can submit your application to the relevant Local Municipality to be reviewed for conditional approval.

Clearing conditions

Regional development approval

If your application for Site Plan Approval, Draft Plan of Subdivision or Draft Plan of Condominium has received conditional approval from a Local Municipality, you will then need to meet certain conditions to receive clearance from Halton Region to proceed with development. Once all Regional conditions have been addressed, Regional staff will advise the relevant Local Municipality.

The information below can help guide you through how to clear some common Regional development conditions:

Services Permits

For any development work involving connections to water, wastewater services or Regional roads, you will need to apply for a Services Permit from Halton Region. Please consult our Permits page for more information.

Land Owner Dedication Form

Through the mandatory pre-consultation process, land owners may need to dedicate land to Halton Region under development applications. As part of this process, they must complete the Land Owner Dedication Form. This form should include all referenced attachments, reference plans and fees. Note: Fees are reviewed and updated annually.

Phase One Environmental Site Assessment (ESA) and Phase Two ESA

The review of an Environmental Site Screening Questionnaire that contamination or potential for contamination exists. In this case, the Region will need a qualified person to indicate whether the environmental condition of the site is suitable for its proposed land use through a Phase One ESA. The Phase One ESA results will determine whether a Phase Two ESA needs to be completed. A Phase One ESA and Phase Two ESA must be completed prior to any approval, servicing or grading of the site; they also need to be prepared to O.Reg 153/04 standards, to the satisfaction of Halton Region. The author of these environmental reports must extend third-party reliance to the Region.

We are here to help. If you have any questions about how to clear Regional conditions, please call 311 and ask to speak to the Community Planning department.

Development Agreements

Preparing your Development Agreements

Once you have conditional approval on your application from a Local Municipality and have cleared Regional conditions, you can prepare a Development Agreement. Development Agreements between the applicant and Halton Region include design and construction requirements, as well as costs to build new watermains, wastewater mains and other Regional infrastructure.

A number of standard components need to be provided prior to preparing a Development Agreement. The Development Agreement Request Form describes these requirements and helps ensure you have included all necessary documents.

The following is a list of sample templates to help you prepare your agreement:

  • Schedule 5: This provides a sample format for a typical letter of credit and a list of acceptable financial institutions that can provide letters of credit
  • Certificate of Insurance: This provides a sample format for a typical Developer’s Certificate of Insurance

These templates are available upon request. Please email or call 311 to request a copy of the template.


Once you have submitted your Agreement Request Package to Halton Region, you will generally receive the agreement in about 15 business days. To clarify requirements, please check the Development Agreement Request Form above.

Costs payable

At the Subdivision Agreement Stage, the developer is required to provide a certified cheque to cover:

  • the engineering and inspection fees (this is based on a sliding scale, directly tied to the cost of construction);
  • water meter installation fees;
  • water and wastewater tapping fees (if applicable);
  • legal administration fees;
  • general administration fees;
  • the water, wastewater and roads components of the Region's development charge; and
  • the applicable Harmonized Sales Tax (HST).

Note: In some cases, there may be other charges.

Once a building permit is issued, the developer is required to pay the remainder of the Region-wide components (General Services) of the Region's development charge.

Note: A Development Charge Agreement may be required to collect Regional development charges before these two stages. Please check for the most current development charges information.

Service and engineering fees

Engineering and inspection fees are calculated as a percentage of the estimated cost of Regional water and wastewater services. Fees are based on a sliding scale.

Total estimated cost of proposed water services, wastewater services and road works Engineering and inspections fee deposits*
up to $100,000 $5,000 or 10% (whichever is greater) +HST
between $100,000.01 and $250,000 7% +HST
between $250,000.01 and $500,000 6% +HST
$500,000.01 or more 5% +HST (To a maximum of $100, 000 + HST)

*The first $5,000 + $650 HST = $5,650 of the total engineering and inspection fee must be submitted at the time of the first engineering drawing submission, with the balance payable upon execution of the Development Agreement.

Note: Any portion of the engineering and inspection fee collected, including the $5,000 payment, is considered a one-time charge that is non-refundable.


What is pre-servicing

There are two definitions of pre-servicing:

  1. Pre-servicing, as it relates to the agreements, is defined as servicing prior to registration. This is authorized.
  2. Pre-servicing, as understood by developers, consultants and contractors, is defined as servicing that begins prior to the execution of the agreement by a letter of undertaking or some other means. This is not allowed in Halton.

Commencing work

The developer’s contractor can start the work when the Region has received the following items:

  1. An original insurance certificate:
    • naming the Region as an additional insured;
    • showing the date and file number of the agreement; and
    • in the name of the persons entering into the agreement.
  2. A certified cheque for the amount shown in the Development Agreement.
  3. A letter of credit (as per the Development Agreement):
    • in the form, and with a banking institution, acceptable to the Region;
    • showing the date and file number of the agreement; and
    • in the name of the persons entering into the agreement.
  4. An up-to-date certified copy of the parcel page, together with postponements to all mortgages on title.
  5. Return of three copies of the agreement:
    • signed by authorized signing authorities, showing names and titles;
    • sealed (corporate seal and company name must be identical) and, if there is no seal, the signatures must be witnessed;
    • the date and place of signing must be complete; and
    • each page must be initialed by signatories.
  6. Certificate of approval issued by MECP.
  7. Fees paid.
  8. Design drawings signed.
  9. A Regional inspection must have been arranged through your development coordinator (Please allow 10 days of advance notice).

Development contacts

Employment Land Concierge

The concierge is here to help non-residential developers and businesses navigate the industrial and commercial development approvals process.

Public Works – permits

Contact the Public Works records group to request as-built drawings or discuss application requirements and fees.

Local Municipalities

See the links below to submit a development application to a Local Municipality:

Niagara Escarpment Commission

See the link below to submit an application for a Niagara Escarpment Plan Development Permit:

Ministry of Municipal Affairs and Housing

See the link below to submit an application for Parkway Belt West Plan Amendments

If you require any of these files in an alternate format, please call 311, TTY: 905 827-9833 or email